Re: GNUstep cookbook.

From: Tim Bissell
Subject: Re: GNUstep cookbook.
Date: Fri, 14 Mar 2003 12:13:22 +0000

Hi!

On 2003-03-14 00:02:44 +0100 ibotty <ibotty@web.de> wrote:

i like it,
Me, too.
I believe we all started to do GNUstep programming by learning and copying from others' code. A cookbook might make this easier.
OPENSTEP, and NeXTstep before it, both came with directories full of working programs which were there soley as examples of how to use certain parts of the APIs. *step had an indexing/browsing tool called 'Librarian.app' which could be used to index these directories (source code and readme files) which made it very easy to track down examples of how to use different widgets. MacOS X is the same, except they chose to dump the Librarian, and move to the truly appalling 'Help Viewer'.

I think a cookbook is an excellent idea; it should be arranged along these lines - could anyone check the copyright of the original NeXT examples and see if we could use any of them? I think that applications like Ink could be part of the cookbook, and an excellent regression test of each release would be compiling and testing the cookbook examples. We take this approach on my (non-GNUstep) project (www.openadaptor.org).

Tim

If you have received this e-mail in error or wish to read our e-mail disclaimer statement and monitoring policy, please refer to http://www.drkw.com/disc/email/ or contact the sender.