Re: One small thing about application names.... :)

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: One small thing about application names.... :)
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2003 09:44:30 -0500

oberhage@uni-essen.de wrote:

> Pascal Bourguignon <pjb@informatimago.com> wrote:

[snip]

> : But, for  the same reason, user applications  should avoid gratuituous
> : GS* names,  since they're  actually OpenStep applications  rather than
> : specifically  GNUstep applications,  in general.
>
> On the other hand I would really like to have a distinguishing part
> in the name to be able to tell the difference to a 'mere'
> X11-application or such. See how good the 'Terminal'-Application is
> burried in the Debian package tree. When you don't know it's there ...
> Something to 'browse' for in a tree would be very nice.
>
> Should all these applications maybe end in '.app' (e.g. Terminal.app)?
> That would certainly be such a differentiating mark.

.app is just the extension -- calling something MyName.app is silly and
confusing, because it's mixing up the app's name with its on-disk
filename.

Does "Terminal.app" change its name to "Terminal.debug" when you build it
with debugging activated? No, only its filename changes. Both internally
and externally, the application name is "Terminal". That's the name you
use when you launch it (though openapp confuses the issue too -- one
reason I never use openapp, preferring "open -a AppName", where open is a
script that execs gopen with stderr redirected to /dev/null).