Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Serg Stoyan
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2003 01:03:19 +0200

Hello Tim,

> Willem Rein Oudshoorn wrote:
>
> > Personally I opt for having horizontal menus.  But well, I only
> > volunteer implementing this if I people agree on restructering the
> > NSMenuView hierarchy.
>
> I would like to see horizontal menus, as well.  If these could be
> provided for without causing too much trouble within -gui, that would be
> wonderful.  If it cannot be done, then I'd like to, at least, see the
> possibility to modify the -gui behaviour with an additional bundle.

  I've removed horizontal menu code, so theme bundle coming soon.

> I know that menu placement is a VERY touchy subject, and many of those
> that are die-hard NeXT/NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP/OpenStep folk certainly don't
> wish to see horizontal menus.  I know there are some who have found the
> horizontal menus in OS X to be more beneficial.  This is not an easy
> answer, really.
>
> An additional thought would be of which menu type would be seen as more
> comfortable for users.  NEXTSTEP/OPENSTEP are no longer in common use
> (and, arguably, were never really all that common), and OS X does not
> use vertical menus.  Nor do any other environments that I'm currently
> familiar with.  I'm not saying that because no one else is using it, we
> shouldn't.  I'm just pointing out that users might not be as comfortable
> with vertical menus.

  I suppose, that horizontal menus in OS X is for MacOS compatibility
  rather than usability. That is, for easy moving old MacOS users to OS X.

> When it comes right down to it, maybe providing hooks for modifying the
> menu behaviour via a third party bundle, and allowing for modifiers
> within the code to specify where in a menu one might find an entry (such
> as "Quit" going within an application menu, or what have you).

  I'm thinking adding theme support, but it's rather architectural issue
  than coding. At first sight, we need to modify -make as well as -gui.
  Give me a time.

> I'm unable to give a better answer than that, but I don't want to see
> the vertical menu behaviour negate the ability to modify that menu
> behaviour.

  Does theme bundle solution so bad?

--
Serg Stoyan