Re: 1.6 build error

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: 1.6 build error
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2003 19:16:22 -0700

Riccardo Mottola wrote:
Hello,

i was trying to build base-1.6 on my NetBSD/68k box.
I already had an older gnustep version on it, which hsalf-worked (problems
sometimes with backgorunder in GWorkspace and such) and I zwanted to try the
newer version to see if it improved.

I did not remove the old version. I first installed gnu-step make (which
went to the same location as the old one)

then I begun gnustep-base.

After a long compile run I got the following (after several screenful of
warnings about casts and such)

[...]
ld: warning: type and size of dynamic symbol
`__objc_class_name_NSAutoreleasePool' are not defined
../Source/shared_obj/m68k/netbsdelf1.6/gnu-gnu-gnu/libgnustep-base.so:
undefined reference to `__objc_msg_forward'
gmake[2]: *** [shared_obj/m68k/netbsdelf1.6/gnu-gnu-gnu/autogsdoc] Error 1
gmake[1]: *** [autogsdoc.all.tool.variables] Error 2
gmake[1]: Leaving directory `/home/multix/gnustep-base-1.6.0/Tools'
gmake: *** [internal-all] Error 2
peregrin: {25}

what could be the problem?

objc_msg_forward is in the libobjc library. I'm assuming that you are not using gcc 3.X, so you should have installed this (gnustep-objc). Somehow gnustep-base configure found it but later during linking it instead found the original libobjc with gcc. It's hard to say why this happened. If all else fails, I'd completly remove the old installed GNUstep and start over.