Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: NSMenu* and NSPopuUp* issues
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 08:19:36 +0100

On Wednesday, April 9, 2003, at 07:34  am, Serg Stoyan wrote:

Hello Willem,

Richard Frith-Macdonald <richard@brainstorm.co.uk> writes:

On Tuesday, April 8, 2003, at 11:24  am, David Ayers wrote:

I haven't looked into how it is broke, but please fix it, and then
ask all app maintainers to update thier nibs which they have saved
since it was broken, before they announce an official release, if
they use gnustep cvs.

Assuming it actually is broken (I haven't checked personally) I
emphatically agree.

Yes, it is.  I noticed a while ago and in a private mail notified
Serg Stoyan.

  I'll return horizontal menu code back.

That was not talking about horizontal menus ... it was referring to the bug in coding/decoding.

Although I think that most people are aware of the policy of
encoding format to my knowledge it is quite easy to be not
aware of it.
So to be fair, I think Serg just wasn't told and probably
not aware of the policy.

  What policy?

Coding/decoding should *never* break backward compatibility. Newer versions of the library should always be able to decode archives created by older versions. If this rule is not kept to, applications whose interfaces were created using one version of the library won't work with the next version as the interface will fail to load from the
.gorm file!

Not really a policy so much as common sense ... it's not a good idea to break backwards compatibilty at all, but in archiving it is particularly important as an error in one class will stop the entire archive from being loaded, and if that archive represents the entire user
interface of an application then that disables the whole app!