Re: Objective-C++?

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Objective-C++?
Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 09:54:52 -0700

On Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:46:32 +0200 (Europe/Berlin)
Dirk Theisen <d.theisen@gmx.net> wrote:
> 1. "Rendezvous" aka ZeroConf is open source. So there is no reason not
> to have it.

I'm very interested in getting ZeroConf working for GNUstep and played
around with Apple's Rendezvous, that is, the part Apple has put under
Open Source. The problem is that what is available is a stripped down
version of what Apple has actually implemented in OSX. I've got some of
it working, but since I don't have an OSX machine readily available, I
cannot really check what's missing. Eg. the "full" implementation
depends on NSNetService, that doesn't exist in GNUstep, so you'll either
implement it, or 'work around it'.

> 2. I bet that Rendezvous is not an essential part of Camino and only
> used in e.g. the "bookmark sharing" code.

Frankly, I don't know, but that's looks likely.

> ObjC++ is ugly, but it is very useful and does make some projects
> worth the effort of providing GNUstep versions.

Only the C++ part looks ugly ;-)

--
Chris