Re: c/10360: __alignof__(double) answer 8

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: c/10360: __alignof__(double) answer 8
Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2003 07:26:16 +0100

On Thursday, April 10, 2003, at 06:46  am, Chris Beaham wrote:

Good Morning Richard

Hi, thanks for the response.

I am not by any means a compiler expert, but I assume that the alignment is dependent upon the CPU architecture, for the most part the cache hardware
Sure.

and therefore the preferred alignment is always the same across all platforms

That bit doesn't make sense to me ...
in what sense can it be said to be preferred?

and the true alignment machine dependent.

Yes ... but the result of using __alignof__ is/is-expected-to-be
machine dependent, in the same way that you expect
sizeof(int) to be machine dependent.

What is the point of __alignof__ returning some abstract 'preferred'
value which is not actually used on your machine?