Re: project goal Re: Release schedule

From: Philippe C.D. Robert
Subject: Re: project goal Re: Release schedule
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 09:45:04 +0200

On Mon, 14 Apr 2003, Jason Clouse wrote:
> On 2003-04-12 12:17:20 +0000 Philippe C.D. Robert <philippe.robert@gmx.net>
> wrote:
> > I do not think GNUstep will ever be able to catch up with Gnome or KDE as
> > pure X11
> > desktop solution ever.
>
> Just a crazy thought--would anyone be interested in writing a backend for
> Fresco (http://www.fresco.org/)?  Fresco seems to be in desperate need of a
> desktop environment/user applications--KDE and GNOME seem to be absent
> there--and GNUstep already has some fine user applications (GNUMail, GORM,
> Workspace, Terminal) that would be beneficial to giving Fresco a leg up.
> Furthermore, it seems to be a wide open opportunity to capture a new "market"
> if you'll pardon the borrowed phrase.

Hi,

back in the days when it was called Berlin I (and I guess some others too)
had this idea too, but I never found the time to play with. It would
certainly be interesting to see GNUstep working w/ it, even if it was some
kind of 'academic scenario'. Also I wonder how stable Fresco is, as it seems
to be kind of 'slowly moving project' too :-)

-Phil
--
Philippe C.D. Robert     |  VNET# 559-1565
Core Rendering           |  Office: +41 (0)32 732 15 65