Re: speed of Obj-C vs. C++(slightly OT)

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: speed of Obj-C vs. C++(slightly OT)
Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 16:53:48 +0100

>I would like to do my work in obj-c/gnustep/OSX, but am wondering if
>anyone has links to relevant benchmarks (any type of scientific
>computing) in case I need to defend that decision.

Nolinks, but I used to do some math intensivce stuff, and in the end I
realised that the overhead of method calls as opposed to functions calls was
to all intents and purposes negligible. Most people I've known
who start using ObjC worry about the overhead when they start, and
then rapidly copme to the conclusion they are worrying about nothing.
Only once did I actually go to the trouble of taking the method call and
cacheing the function pointer "for speed" and it made no noticeable
difference to the speed of the program (despite the fact I was doing
100,000 of them in a tight loop).

"premature optimisation is the root of all evil" a colleague of mine
used to say :-)

-bat.