Connecting to applications

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Connecting to applications
Date: Fri, 09 May 2003 17:43:41 +0200

Hi,

I want to create 'Common scripting environment', where you can tie applications
and their abilities together to complete your task. See

http://wiki.gnustep.org/index.php/Scriptable%20Environments

From applications point of view: To be able to do this, applications have to
advertise public methods and objects. From script point of view: Users need to
connect to the application.

The later thing needs to be implemented in steptalk. My question is, that
whether there is a clean way of connecting to an application? What i want is to
launch an application if it is not running and connect to the running
application. By connecting I mean to get distant object proxy for the
application (some well defined object).

I have seen, that there is -[NSWorkspace _connectApplication:] and this method
seems to be what i want. Is it possible to document its behaviour and make it
public as an GNUstep extension?

Stefan