Re: Releasing objects declared in method?

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: Releasing objects declared in method?
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 13:53:13 +0100

>     tmpObject = [[NSMutableArray arrayWithCapacity: 8]
> initWithCapacity: 8];

You dont need the 'init' method here - the 'arrayWithCapacity' method
has already doe this for you. You only need init after alloc.

> 1. Do I need to release tmpObject *explicitly*?

Not if you use the 'arrayWithCapacity' method to create it, no.

> 3. If I need to release it before the method ends, does it mean that I
> can't use "return [tmpObject count]" statement?

If you *did* release it then you would not be able to use the 'count'
method. But the way you are doing it is fine. I'd probably just write it
as

- (int)trivialMethod
{
        NSMutableArray *tempArray = [NSMutableArray array];
        [tempArray addObject: something];
        .... add some objects ....
        return [tempArray count];
}