Re: Horizontal menus.

From: Ian Jones
Subject: Re: Horizontal menus.
Date: Sun, 18 May 2003 16:32:43 +0000

Stefan Urbanek wrote:

On 2003-05-15 23:36:08 +0200 Ian Jones <ian_jones_01@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Daniel Luederwald wrote:

<snip>

Horizontal menus are inefficient on large screens and totaly impractical on multihead or xinerama type installations. I have seen this discussion played out many times here before. I personally would feel much happier if this desire and effort were put towards making what we already have stable and usable for people to develop applications on top of before people start changing things so that it starts to look and behave like their OSX machine. If you want OSX then use OSX, as far as I know the way GNUstep looks and feels was never inteded to emulate OSX and all its mistakes.

Will some 'bring menu to this screen' or 'bring menu near the mouse' function be sufficient? Or what about keyboard menu navigation? On the other hand, in well behaved application you have all frequently used functions reachable by shortcuts and other functionality in panels/inspectors/whatever. Moreover, there is still possibility to detach menus. I mean, there should be some compromise to satisfy more experienced users/expert environments.

Stefan

To me it sounds like a lot of work-arounds for a problem that doesn't exsist until the inclusion of horizontal menus.

Ian