Newb questions and comments

From: Jan Vrany
Subject: Newb questions and comments
Date: Sat, 24 May 2003 12:53:09 +0200

Hi all,

I've lastest GNUstep from CVS. It compiles without problems on
my Linux system. I've some questions and comment about it:

1) I must congratulate to GNUstep developers. Really good work.
   I tried GNUstep a year ago and is nice to see how
   long (GNU)step it does :-)

2)? With GNUstep, I'm using WindowMaker 0.80 and I've some problems
   with windowing - when I hide apll by "Hide" menu item, it cannot
   be then "Unhided" (I click on app's icon (i.e to that that haven't
   title on the top) but nothing happened. It's possible that I'm
   using "Hide" in wrong way. Is problem in me (wrong way to use "Hide"),
   or somewhere in my SW (i.e. in WindowMaker or/and GNUstep)

3)? Other problem (maybe same as that above, but I'm not an experienced
   GNUstep or NeXTstep user) is problems with starting applications
   that open (shows) just menu on startup, like ProjectCenter. When
   at the time of showing main menu another window has focus,
   new app silently hides and, as I say above, I cannot it unhide. :-((

4) I've tried Camaeleon (you know, that frst thing that everybody does
   when first time using GNOME or KDE is changing themes :-) and I must
   say, that is good thing. I'm not friend of complicated themes with
   graphical efects like LiquidTheme in KDE and so on (this themes
   are - IMHO - nice "for eyes", but lot of effects breaks my concentation),
   but I must say, that Camaeleon brings a really fresh look into GNUstep.

5)? I've tried a ProjectCenter and Gorm. I've tried to create simple
   application following instructions found in tutorials at
   www.gnustep.in (good thing - more such tutorials! :-), but in GORM,
   I'm unable to create outlet, resp connect outlet co ?widget?.
   In GORM tutorial is written:

   To connect the amount outlet to the first text field, you have to
drag-and-drop while pressing the Control key from the ConvertorManager instance
(the instance is in the Classes part of Gorm's main panel) to the first text
field. Little S and T icons will appear showing who is the Source and who is
the Target (those icons always appear in the bottom-left corner, if they are
not then you are probably not selecting the component you want to select).
After drag-and-dropping, you have to select which outlet of the Source you want
to connect to the target, do this by clicking the correct outlet in the Outlets
column of the Inspector and by pressing the connect button. Do this for all
three outlets (at this time, selecting the source and target is a bit tricky,
before connecting two objects, do unselect all objects in the "Converter"
window, you can do this by clicking in the background of the window).

   But this not works for me...I' cannot drag from Controller class to widget.
   Is the problem between chair and keyboard?

6)? Is there some document that explainsdesing of  AppKit classes?
   Not class reference,
   I' mean the basic ideas how widgets works and so on.

7)? (for Smalltalkers)

  Is there any GNUstep app like Smalltalk's Browser? I really like Smalltalks
  way of creating GUI apps - using ValueModels, Aspect/Pluggable Adaptors
  and so on. This concept IMHO saves lot of code and is extremely functional.
  Is posible to write GNUstep framework, that brings Smalltalks way to GNUstep?
  Is there such framework?

  And - is possible to do the same thing as subcanvas in Smalltalk in GORM?

  (when I say Smalltalk, I mean Cincom's VisualWorks or Smalltalk/X -

Bye. Honza Vrany