Re: RE : Horizontal menus.

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: RE : Horizontal menus.
Date: Tue, 27 May 2003 15:56:35 +0200

On 27.05.2003 05:19:37 Jason Clouse wrote:
>> This is an idea I was having as well, although rather than make a
"locked-in"
>>decision at compile, I was thinking the "floating"
OPENSTEP/GNUstep-style menu
>>should be modified to allow it to "dock" with the top of the screen and
switch
>>to an Apple-style menubar, which then your could then "tear-off" like
any
>>sub-menu, but perhaps with a modifier+tear.

I like this idea better than having a compiled in solution: Imagine there
are different users on one machine - everybody would have her/his own
preferences concerning the menustyle. If this is done at compile time it
can't be changed later. A compile time solution would also make binary
distributions of GNUstep more complicated: We would need packages for NeXT
style menus and packages for Mac style menus. Please go for a per user
solution in preferences.app as others already said.

>Not trying to knock your idea or anything--sounds quite interesting in
its own
>way--but it seems a bit complicated for the end user.  And I'm not sure
it's
>going to be all that useful.
>
>My impression is that people are very attached to their choice of menu
style.
>NeXT fans probably won't ever want to dock their menu upstairs.  And
those who
>slant toward the Apple way of doing things wouldn't want to have to go to
the
>trouble of docking their menus.

Although I am very accustomed to Mac style menus, I'd like to have the
possibility to tear of submenus from the menubar. In the old Mac OS 7
times there was a nifty utility <http://www.mac.org/system/custommenus/>
that permitted exactly that functionality. I missed this ever since (and I
heard this feature was in Rhapsody).

Btw: here is an interesting discussion of that topic:
<http://www.cloudmaster.com/pulsar/rhapsody/>

>Both groups would probably want to set a system or user default to one or
the
>other and just leave it that way.  And I suppose themes should provide
artwork
>for both.

agreed