Re: Question about gorm and Multi language support in Gnustep

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Question about gorm and Multi language support in Gnustep
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 10:50:11 -0400

From: Stéphane PERON <speron@telys.com>
To: discuss-gnustep@gnu.org
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 16:01:18 +0200

Hi all !

Do I have to make a new .gorm for each language ?
(that means that the maintener has to update as many .gorm file as there are languages supported .. so if 8 languages are supported, he has to spend 8 more times to release its application !!! )

Please, tell me I am wrong ... ;-)

 I guess it's true.

 There are ways to work around.
 One is to reset all the strings in the source code using _(...) short-cut,
 which I dislike because it makes .gorm less attractive.
 By this way, Localizable.string will reflect on .gorm interface.

 But it is not a hard work to simply copy the English/xxx.gorm
 into YourLanguage/xxx.gorm and modify each string.
You don't need to rework the whole interface, just modify each string you saw.
 I found it is handy when I actually did that.
 And I can adjust the interface a little bit to prevent the string
 from being cut because it is too long in some languages.

 Not as bad as you thought. :)

 Yen-Ju

Regards

Stéphane PERON