Re: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: dereferencing type-punned pointer will break strict-aliasing rules
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 15:08:27 -0700

On Fri, 30 May 2003 22:53:21 +0100 (BST)
Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:
[...]
> Ok.  I have added -fno-strict-aliasing to fix the short term
> situation, but I suspect it might be a compiler bug, and in the long
> term it would be much better to fix the compiler.

Ah, great, thank you.

I suggested it before, maybe we could use '$(CC) -dumpversion' in an
environment variable, say GNUSTEP_COMPILER_VERSION, to be able to write
more flexible makefiles with respect to compiler options, eg.

  #
  # common flags
  #
  ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS += [...]

  #
  # specific compiler flags
  #
  if eq($(GNUSTEP_COMPILER_VERSION, 33)

  ADDITIONAL_OBJCFLAGS += -fno-strict-aliasing -Wundeclared-selector

  endif

--
Chris