Re: Of applications and documents

From: Eric Christopherson
Subject: Re: Of applications and documents
Date: Mon, 2 Jun 2003 22:05:35 -0500

On Sun, Jun 01, 2003 at 10:43:42PM -0400, David Adam Bordoley wrote:
> This concept can further be expanded to other types of documents. Instead of
> managing folders using a file manager, the user directly manipulates the
> folder (there is no proxy between the user and the folder.

I don't really know what you mean here. I can understand if what you're
trying to say is that the "file manager" should be a core part of the
interface, not an "application" that's added on to it; but I don't know for
sure that that's what you're saying. I don't see how the user could directly
manipulate *anything* unless they happen to be able to change bits with
their mind ;) You still need some sort of "proxy" (in your words).

> This is very
> similar to how the original macintosh finder worked until they broke it in
> osx).

Not to start any flames, but for those who are uninformed (like myself), how
did it "break" in OSX?

--
Furrfu!         r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t