Re: New method to load user bundles

From: Jeff Teunissen
Subject: Re: New method to load user bundles
Date: Tue, 03 Jun 2003 09:38:50 -0400

Tobias wrote:

> jeff wrote:
> > This isn't security-related attention.
> >
> > Everybody knows that if you load bundles, you are giving away the keys
> > to the castle -- that's why you don't load them in certain apps, and
> > would have to be a damn fool to do so.
>
> but you dont have any keys anymore. just because we allow LD_PRELOAD and
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH. you can replace your whole everything with those
> environment variables. LD_* is even more powerful, because it is enabled
> on ALL (non suid) tools/apps you open. is this a major security hole?
> i think not.

LD_PRELOAD can't replace code inside a program, it can only replace one
shared library with another.

GSAppKitUserBundles is more powerful than LD_*, because it lets you modify
the app itself, not just the libraries it is linked with.

It's well-known that if you use shared libraries, you can't trust their
code. It is also well-known that if you use bundles, you can't even trust
YOUR code.

[snip]