Re: Fw: A PORT TO WIN32?

From: Kaelin Colclasure
Subject: Re: Fw: A PORT TO WIN32?
Date: Wed, 4 Jun 2003 13:56:36 -0700

My only exposure to Yellow Box has been my attempt to install and use the WebObjects 5.2 development tools on first (unsupported) Windows XP and then (supported) Windows 2000. I was extremely disappointed. The installation process was fragile in the extreme. And once prodded and massaged into working at all, the tools performed poorly and frequently froze Windows UI (requiring a reboot).

If Yellow Box is accountable for that experience, I applaud Apple's decision not to inflict it on the developer community.

That said, several folks on the WebObjects mailing list claim to develop WebObjects applications exclusively under Windows, and (while none rose to defend the installation process) all asserted that the tools worked reliably for them -- even under Windows XP. I opted not to expend further hours of effort frobbing with Windows, as I vastly prefer driving Mac OS X anyway.

-- Kaelin