Re: better back-art support in core

From: Travis Tilley
Subject: Re: better back-art support in core
Date: 07 Jun 2003 00:32:44 -0400

On Fri, 2003-06-06 at 23:46, Adam Fedor wrote:

> Definitely. I'd like to see back-art be easily installable so it can
> become the default backend.

Oh please don't... I'd really hate to force back-art's dependencies and
font hell on anyone. Just downgrading freetype2 would suck, because not
only would i have to downgrade, i'd have to keep track of dependencies
to make sure i didn't break anything, make sure nothing was compiled
using the newer freetype due to api changes, make sure gentoo never
upgrades freetype during system updates (which i do almost every damned
day and is a very automated process that would suddenly NOT be if i
needed to make sure freetype never got upgraded), patch any additional
packages that get updated and depend on newer versions of freetype if i
should want to upgrade them ever again, etc etc etc.... In summary, it's
a big @%#$ing pain in the ass... one I have yet to need to repeat for
another app that depends on freetype.

Oh yeah, plus I like being able to use the system's available fonts and
would prefer not having to install fonts JUST for gnustep that are
usable ONLY by gnustep. But I guess that's a matter of personal
preference.

Currently i use the xlib backend but if i try to move a menu or window
it'll dance all over the screen and sometimes jump off-screen till i
stop moving the mouse and wait patiently for it to return. gnustep has
become essentially unusable. if the art backend has this problem fixed
it is STILL too much of a pain in the ass for me to bother.

-Travis Tilley-