Re: Rendezvous

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: Rendezvous
Date: Mon, 9 Jun 2003 16:30:22 -0700

On Mon, 09 Jun 2003 17:24:22 -0500 (CDT)
Jonathan Gapen <jagapen@students.wisc.edu> wrote:
> While I don't *need* it, I do *want* it.  :-)
> As others have pointed out, implementing these classes is going to
> take quite a bit of extra infrastructure in the GNUstep system.
> Rendezvous consists of three things:
>  1) automatic link-local IP addressing,
>  2) link-local name resolution without a DNS server and
>  3) service discovery without a directory server.
> The first is beyond the scope of GNUstep.
> The second really ought to be a part of the host system's DNS
> resolver, but GNUstep could support it in the NSHost class.
> NSNetServices addresses the third point.

>From what little I know of Apple's implementation (granted, not much,
since I don't own one), NSNetServices/Browser basically send a request
via broadcast and whoever pics up the request answers.

Which means, NSNetSerives/Browser can be implemented independently,
while a different (let's call it) project could/can start working on one
(or more) ZeroConf daemon(s). The former two classes only indirectly
rely on the latter, which means users can use whatever daemon(s) they
want to.

--
Chris