Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GTK and Qt??

From: Mathias . Picker
Subject: Re: Why is GNUstep less successful than GTK and Qt??
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 07:07:20 +0200 (CEST)

On 12 Jun, Christopher Culver wrote:
> I asked about this on Gentoo Forums. The responses were along the
> lines of "It doesn't matter how easy it is to program if it's so
> ugly". If GNUstep had a better look, I'm sure more people would come

?? In my eyes GNUstep is one of the least eyesores around. And I don't
think it's a valid point anyhow: both gtk and qt were incredible ugly in
their first incarnations.

So it's probably because GNUstep just wasn't ready (is it now?) for any
application, and because objective-c is unknown and nobody is willing to
learn another language, and so

we have no applications to speak of. (could somebody get the lighthouse
apps out of Sun, _pretty_please_ :-)

Also, the UI ist strictly non-Windoze, which makes it way better, but
less accesible to a lot of folks. Look at the windowze-likeness of kde
and gnome: look at their icon-bursting ui's and other strange stuff. Not
good, but known to many people.