Re: Fonts in .gorm files

From: Marcus Müller
Subject: Re: Fonts in .gorm files
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 15:51:34 +0200

On Thursday, Jun 12, 2003, at 13:55 Europe/Berlin, David Ayers wrote:

Well my personal experience of having to maintain an app that has .. (let me count) 336 nibs (and that's just one of the two active versions, I'm maintaining) is that nibs (NSCoding based archives) are harder to maintain. This is an EOF app where the UI layout consists of texfield, combo boxes and table views grouped and aligned. And believe me, if other pre conditions where different, porting Renaissance to OS 4.2 and converting 95% of those nibs to gsmarkups would be high on my priorities, because pixel counting for a consistent UI expierence is just far to time consuming.

I agree that EOF applications are pretty hard to maintain, mostly because all required associations are usually hidden from view and need to be checked by selecting all views. But, usually that's an issue (but a big and annoying one) only when porting UIs between platforms (i.e. OPENSTEP, Rhapsody and Mac OS X). I did this once for Lamento (http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com/software/Lamento) and know how troublesome a task that is.

From what you are telling I conclude that the interfaces are probably very similar among each others. I agree that building interfaces with Gorm is a waste of time considering this repetitive task and Renaissance might be a better choice, as the interfaces could be constructed on the fly. However, that's a pretty special case.

Gorm could be used as a WYSIWYG editor I think. How one would graphically handle the layout constraints imposed by the box layout system in Gorm is another question, though. It could be done similar to the way the 'guiders' work, but probably indicating 'destination boxes' instead.

This seems like a proposal of an(other) autolayout system independent of Gorm and Renaissance. Yet both (or one, or another tool) would have to support it.

Ah, I didn't make this clear enough. What I meant is that Gorm could well be able to read/write Renaissance files and suit as an editor for the autolayout system. You'd need a new palette sporting the special layout elements and have a fancy way of visualizing 'layout in advance' if you drag an element from a palette and drag it to its intended destination. Most likely, you'd also need another window visualizing the views' hierarchy etc.

It's all about choosing the right tool for the task at hand.

I agree. Most of the time people seem to underestimate the complexities of autolayout systems, thouh. Because it really annoys me from time to time I *had* to raise the issue! ;-)

Cheers,

  Marcus

--
Marcus Mueller  .  .  .  crack-admin/coder ;-)
Mulle kybernetiK  .  http://www.mulle-kybernetik.com