Re: of applications for gnustep...

From: Chris B. Vetter
Subject: Re: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 09:45:48 -0700

hehe, here we go again ...

On Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:53:28 +0200
Riccardo Mottola <multix@ngi.it> wrote:
[...]
> We could need a light-weigth browser, with a nice interface.

Some have already looked into that...

> I think we could make a petition to sen:te for SpiderWoman and port it
> to GStep and maybe mock it up. I wrote personally two times and never
> had an answer, but maybe a petition would hel. AFAIK binaries were
> freely downloadable.

IIRC, Marco said sth about that the source to SWoman is no longer
available. Even if it still is, SWoman hasn't been under development for
a LOOOOONG time, so you would have to spend a lot of time and man-power
to bring it up-to-date -- it would probably be better to start from
scratch instead.

You could try and port OmniHTML and write your own browser on top of
that, however, you will first have to port OmniBase, -Foundation and
-AppKit, (as well as OWF, I think) ... have fun.
Apart from that, OmniHTML isn't fully W3C 'compatible' and Omni recently
switched to WebCore (still, OmniHTML is nice stuff, so don't get me
wrong here)

OTOH, as a _proof_of_concept_ you (in general) could port Nexus. Then
again, it's anything but up-to-date (being the very first browser) not
at all W3C compatible and most likely horribly br0ken (from today's
point of view) -- but it's only about 10 files to work on.

> Another idea could be the render-engine of dillo! Dillo is fast and in
> the latest version it is almost usable for normal browsing (and the
> updates promised for 0.73 would be interesting). Currently it is GTK
> based,  I did not have a look at the sourcecode to see if it is C++ or
> C though.

Dillo is written in C. I never used it, but there seem to be some issues
with Operating Systems other than Linux, especially Solaris and OpenBSD.
(and if I remember correctly, you were complaining that those two in
particular are a pain-in-the-proverbial ...)

> another idea would be a spreadsheet and some development stuff.

Development stuff?

> I think for example that on one of the computers at my office we
> installed QT just because we needed quanta! Once QT's are there there
> is less resistance to install other applications.
> So if we have a killer-app then people will install the rest.

I seriously doubt that.
"People" are not going to install _another_ environment, side by side
with Gnome and/or KDE, just to run _one_ "killer" application,
especially if said "killer" application is yet _another_ web browser.

[...]

--
Chris