Re: of applications for gnustep...

From: Eric Christopherson
Subject: Re: of applications for gnustep...
Date: Sat, 14 Jun 2003 01:27:05 -0500

On Fri, Jun 13, 2003 at 09:57:55AM -0700, Chris B. Vetter wrote:
> On Fri, 13 Jun 2003 08:32:01 +0200
> Philip Mötteli <moetteli.bulk@bluewin.ch> wrote:
> [...]
>
> I know, we've been through this before ...
>
> > > It's a marriage
> > In my eyes, it's not ieven a marriage. It's just, that you don't need
> > a bridge.
>
> Yes, that's true.
>
> However, C++ is an abomination. It's horrible syntax lacks an intuitive
> way to use it (call it style, interface, whatever), it lacks a grammar
> specifying the language and as a result you can't even tell if a given
> line of code is valid...

*slaps hand to face* I know, I know, I know it's absolutely futile, but I
just can't resist pointing out that there is a grammar, given in _The C++
Programming Language, Third Edition_
(http://www.awprofessional.com/catalog/product.asp?product_id={50BB3F0F-83B9-4632-AA2B-F237EFB90991}).

> C++ completely misses the point what OO is all about. Yes, I'm referring
> to Alan Kay's legendary comment:
>
>       I invented the term 'object oriented programming' and I can tell
>       you I didn't have C++ in mind.

Well ya know, OO isn't one monolithic thing. There are various varieties,
philosophies, implementations, etc. Too bad for Kay.

> C++ is one big mess of afterthoughts. C++ is evil and should be buried
> at midnight under a full moon in an abandoned graveyard. And best be
> forgotten as well.
>
> Why I bother?

Indeed.

But then I should ask myself the same of this message. Ah well, signing off.

--
Furrfu!         r a k k o  at  c h a r t e r  dot  n e t