Re: [Fwd: Re: of applications for gnustep...]

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: [Fwd: Re: of applications for gnustep...]
Date: Mon, 16 Jun 2003 20:02:44 +0100

> If there actually was a gnustep "killer app" i doubt installing it's
> requirements would matter much to whoever desires this "killer app" just

This is a good point. Plus a "killer app" is in the eye of the beholder
to a great extent. I;m here and interested in GNUstep because I have what
certain sets of people think of as such an app. Currently it only runs
under NextStep - and I have made my living for ten years persuading people
to buy copies of NextStep just to run this app. In the end people *do*
use computers and operating systems as a platform to run the software - nad
if the software is good enough then they dont much care about the nuts
and bolts underneath.

I think we are starting to see here a growing distinction between developers
who just want to have an AppKit and FoundationKit to write and deploy their
code with, and more user based people who want the whole integrated environment
which OpenStep gave them as a complete system.

I think this thread started off with someone asking why GNUstep wasnt as
successful as something like GTK didnt it ? But that question is only valid
if you measure "success" in the number of people using it.

-bat.