Re: NSWorkspace launchedApplications method

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: NSWorkspace launchedApplications method
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:50:39 +0200

Hi,

I'm moving it into the discuss thread.

On 2003-06-17 04:30:25 +0200 Adam Fedor <fedor@doc.com> wrote:

Matt Rice wrote:
here is a patch i figure we should probably discuss,
it implements the launchedApplications method

(Replying kind of late...)

It's a bummer there has to be a deamon just for handling this. Is there anyway to combine
it with something else? Maybe just using gdnc to spread the information around? This
could be better as at least with gdnc we've thought about all the problems of where
information should be sent (e.g. are applications "running" on the server, the
client, the display?...)

Well, this and many other unimplemented or wrongly working stuff in NSWorkspace
and -gui is The Reason for either:
1. Integrate Worskpace.app into gnustep and make it implement the real
functionality of NSWorkspace class
or
2. Create workspace daemon with all NSWorkspace functionality and NSWorkspace
notification center. Make Workspace.app be a graphical wrapper around this
daemon/DO server.

AFAIK, application launch/terminate/... notifications are handled in each app,
which is not good (as any other NSWorkspace notification handling in apps). We
can end up very easily in inconsistent state. This is why we need centralised
worskpace thing (server/daemon/DO server).

From this is obvious, that GNUstep is not just a set of libraries and programs,
but Integrated (Development) Environment composed of 'live objects' aka servers
and 'passive classes' aka frameworks. Well, -base can be considered as separate
ramework, however -gui is no more just a framework. It cannot exist without
supporting processes and resources. Same for applications. Each part of the
enviornment is like human organ - organ cannot live without the body and body
cannot live without the organ.

Stefan Urbanek