Re: PATCH: fix position of drawAtPoint in attributed string

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: PATCH: fix position of drawAtPoint in attributed string
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:26:33 +0100

> The documentation is a a bit ambiguous: it doesn't tell you in which
> coordinate system it applies. The upper left corner in a flipped view is
> arguably the lower left corner as seen on the screen. I haven't looked

Yes, its not very clear is it ? I think it is designed to work as
a PSmoveto() and PSshow() do though - in which the specified point
becomes the bottom left corner of the *text* as seen on screen. Flipped
it becomes top left for some reason - but GNUstep appears to get that right
anyway. It also gets the drawInRect correct, so the only incorrect behaviour
was a simple drawAtPoint: in a non flipped view, which I would have thought
was the most common case, but maybe not :-)

> closely at it, but if the new behavior matches OPENSTEP, it's probably
> better to just stick to that (and document it in a clear way :).

Its now matches OSX and OpenStep pretty closely - GNUstep text isnt quite
positioned the same as OSX text, but I think that might be due to differing
fonts. The drawInRect: behaviour is the same as OSX's. Interestingly OSX
doesnt match OpenStep in this area (and neither match the documentation!) but
the differences only become apparent if you draw text into a rectangle
much too large for it. I think this is a rare case, and I also think that if
we have to choose between macthing OpenStep or OSX we should choose OSX
really.

> I'll commit something similar to this tomorrow after fixing any
> incorrect callers in -gui (or have you already looked at them?).

I did a quick grep for drawAtPoint in gui/Source and it only seems to
be used by NSTabViewItem and NSRulerView - neither of which I had test
code for, so I havent looked to see if they need fixing, plus it was
late last night and I didnt have time. I suspect they do as even in the
grep output I can see a suspicious looking NSMaxY in the TabView call.

cheers,

-bat.