Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: Raffael Herzog
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 13:59:41 +0200

On 2003-06-19 12:20:21 +0200 Philippe C.D. Robert <probert@sgi.com> wrote:

On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, MJ Ray wrote:
Are you saying that you want items on the pop-up menu that are not on the
global menu?  That would be Evil, Bad and Wrong, as well as inconsistent.

Yes I am, or at least not in the same structure. And it would not be Evil,
Bad, Wrong or inconsistent, it would/can be a useful addition to a gui if
used properly. This includes that such menus are part of the gui guidelines
so that users are familiar with the concept.

Please, don't repeat the mistakes all the others do. KDE and GNOME broke their UIs to imitate Windoze. Apple broke the NeXT UI to a certain extent to imitate the good old Macintosh. Let's not break GNUstep's UI to imitate whatever.

Let's have a look at my parents: They both use Macintosh for... well, since I know that such a thing like computers exists. ;-) But they never, ever, use the context menus introduced in... OS8?. They know that something like that exists, but they don't use it. They don't need it. They don't want to think about it, they only want to use their applications as they always did.

*If* we introduce context menus, then this should be something for advanced users who know the application very well. But all the functionality should be availabe without using them. Using an application shouldn't be a "find the right context menu" adventure game, IMHO.

I didn't know that this context menu in GWorkspace exists and I never missed it. In the seldom cases I want to open a file using a tool different to the default one, I just take the straight-forward way: Open the tools inspector and choose the tool there. And I'll most probably continue to do so since I need this very seldomly, so I probably won't remember the context menu the next time I'm in such a situation.

cu,
  Raffi

--
 The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is
                no difference, but in practice, there is.

Raffael Herzog - herzog@raffael.ch - http://www.raffael.ch - ICQ #67961355