Re: problems building - faiiling due to autogsdoc

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: problems building - faiiling due to autogsdoc
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 22:55:12 +0100

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 09:22  pm, Chris B. Vetter wrote:

I don't know why Richard is using NSProcessInfo to get the arguments in
main() since he could easily use argc and argv...

Convenience ... argv doesn't contains NSString values.
It's a good job too ... it quickly shows up this particular bug ...
I don't want bugs to linger in the software ... one should fix bugs,
not hack in workarounds.

However, I did have the same problems on FreeBSD.
I also tried configuring -base with --enable-pass-arguments (see
below) which resulted in basically every application to core dump
upon startup....

Try to configure -base with '--disable-procfs --disable-openssl'
That's how I got it to work on FreeBSD.

Please don't do that ... instead, track down the cause of the problem
and supply a fix, so other people don't have the problem in future.

However, if --disable-procfs  gets rid of the symptom. it's probably
a good idea to look at what information the operating system is
providing to the procfs code in NSProcessInfo.

1. there could be a bug in GNUsteps handling of procfs, which could be fixed. 2. there could be a bug in BSDs procfs, for which we could get autoconf to enable a workaround (or disable procfs support if it is horribly broken).