Re: install hell

From: Stefan Urbanek
Subject: Re: install hell
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 09:01:18 +0200

On 2003-06-21 02:59:32 +0200 Nicola Pero <nicola@brainstorm.co.uk> wrote:

And to top it all off, while I can build apps, I can't run them at any
terminals from within KDE. I get a travis@sumfin:~$ ExampleSetTest
ExampleSetTest: error while loading shared libraries: libGSUnit.so.1: cannot
open shared object file: No such file or directory.

The weird thing... if I flip to a console, it works fine!
Looking at it more, it appears that any terminal window under KDE has the
GNUSTEP vars set, but LD_LIBRARY_PATH cleared, if I source the GNUstep.sh, it
gets set fine. Why can't GNUstep just put libraries where the rest of the
system puts them?

Because gnustep does not fit into the standard model.

A simple solution is to add the two lines

/usr/GNUstep/System/Library/Libraries
/usr/GNUstep/Local/Library/Libraries

to /etc/ld.so.conf, then run `ldconfig' everytime you install a library.  Then
the libraries will be automatically found no matter if
LD_LIBRARY_PATH is set or not.

This is kind of hack. How it would be possible not to use ld.so.conf at all?
Having to deal with ld.so.conf just adds to installation complications.

Stefan