Re: My GWorkspace feature request

From: MJ Ray
Subject: Re: My GWorkspace feature request
Date: Mon, 23 Jun 2003 17:22:19 -0000

Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf <lars.sonchocky-helldorf@hamburg.de> wrote:
> Sad to hear this. Please don't listen to the people that cry loudest.
> They don't necessarily have the right arguments, but mostly those are
> fanatic about something.

I'm fanatic about GNUstep having a good interface.  The right way to
change the interface is to get a change into the UIG, not to start
coding it into the applications willy-nilly, other than as an experiment.

I do not think that you can make a compelling case for Mystery Meat
Navigation, but if you can bring good, reproducible numbers, I can accept
that I get it wrong sometimes.

> [...] Or do you (MJRay) think that OpenStep would not have
> evolved in any way if it would not have been abandoned?

Seeing as you asked me, personally: I think it would have evolved in a
conservative and thoughtful way, not "let's code this in because it's
cool and that other operating system has it".

[...]
> If you like restrictions you are maybe wrong in the ObjC world. Go to
> Java, this is a sufficiently restricting language.

Erm... go to hell, I usually program in a less restrictive language than
ObjC.

      http://mjr.towers.org.uk/   jabber://slef@jabber.at
       Thought: "Changeset algebra is really difficult."