Re: text question

From: Pete French
Subject: Re: text question
Date: Tue, 24 Jun 2003 13:24:35 +0100

> This depends on what you mean by proper. We could document the method as

Drawing text at 0,0 that isnt drawn entrely outside the bounds of the
view would count as "proper" I think :-)

I am assuming (and experiments on OSX and OS42 seem to back this up) that
drawAtPoint: should draw the text in the same place as PSmoveto() followed
by a PSshow().

> could implement this, and it should match what you expect for normal
> single-line text.

That sounds like precisely the fix I have been thrashing around in the drak
trying to implement. Excellent news.

> The point I'm talking about is the "origin" in this figure:
> http://www.freetype.org/freetype2/docs/glyphs/Image3.png (from

Thats the point I am taking about too - which currently isnt the point
sopecified by drawAtPoint - which it should be if it works like all  the
other implementations.

> Yes, of course. Just include some newlines in the string.

I havent tried this. I had assumed that  the neewline characters would
be rendered as zero width characters. But then I was assuming that
drawAtPoint was working the same as PSshow() - which againmay not be
true. When I get near an OSX machine I will give it a shot...

> The fix will be applying an offset. The question is which offset, and
> how to get it. :)

Well, not entirely wrong on my part then, which cheers me up! So, do you want
me to do anything else, or are you going to take over from here ? I'm quite
happy to keep trying to work on it, but I think I have reached the limit of my
usefulness probably.

-bat.