Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf

From: Nicolas Roard
Subject: Re: GWorkspace.app Feature Request-- Tabbed Shelf
Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2003 07:10:51 +0100

On 2003-06-24 22:55:28 +0000 Fred Kiefer <address@hidden> wrote:

Hi Nicolas,

this doesn't sound like an evil hack, rather like a very nice idea that should
make it into NSWorkspace. Please clean up that code and commit it.

Hm I just looked back on my hard disk but I think I don't have it anymore
(I changed of computer since I wrote that).
It was really a matter of a few lines, as it only looked if a file existed, and
tried to create a NSImage with it in order to return it (else the default
was returned).
The idea was simply to construct a file's path by adding a .tiff extension on
it, and
modify the provided path (iconForFile:) to add a .thumbnail/ before it.
NSWorkspace didn't had the responsability of creating the thumbnails, as I
it wasn't its duty at all (*bloat*). It should just return them if they exist.
So for my test I created "by hand" the thumbnails.
Ideally GWorkspace or other software could create automatically thoses
It should be good to use the freedesktop specs about thumbnails if possible.

Nicolas Roard