Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui

From: Markus Hitter
Subject: Re: [RFC] Header organization of -base & -gui
Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2003 23:24:41 +0200

Am Dienstag, 01.07.03 um 22:07 Uhr schrieb David Ayers:

Markus Hitter wrote:

Not exactly.

My idea is to split up header locations into more than two logical parts: -base, -gui, Additions. Additions (-baseadd btw.) as a separate part as it can be used separately. The Header structure for a GNUstep installation could be:

$GNUSTEP/include/gnustep/base/
$GNUSTEP/include/gnustep/gui/
$GNUSTEP/include/GNUstepAdditions/

So, your proposing to mix -gui(AppKit) and -base(Foundation) extensions in one library/framework?

No. I propose to fork the -baseadd headers into their own, plain header directory. That's all.

Application source code should be able to access them the same way (i.e. with the same #includes) wether it's compiled against GNUstepAdditions.framework, a partial (-baseadd only), or a full GNUstep installation.

It would mean any tool (like gsweb apps) would be linked against AppKit.

Not at all. It doesn't matter how the actual libraries are organized.

Also, since all NS*.h headers should end up in Headers/Foundation and Headers/AppKit (where do you get this include directory from?)

I got it from your RFC.

An #include <gnustep/base/GSMime.h> suggests you (want to) install GSMime.h in something like $GNUSTEP/include/gnustep/base/ . Am I wrong here?

Cheers,
Markus

Dipl. Ing. Markus Hitter
http://www.jump-ing.de/