Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th char

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th character ...)
Date: Tue, 08 Jul 2003 23:11:25 +0900

Pete French wrote:

I used 'multi-byte' in a usual sense in C.  That is another concept
different from encoding, although they are working together almost
all the time. Basically, there's no dependency between them.

The 'ususal sense' to me is "takes more than one byte' - so C3 A8
is mutibyte in UTF-8 encoding, but single byte in ASCII encoding.

You can't use the term 'multi-byte' in that sense. Don't overlook the phrase 'in C', by which I mean the ISO C standard together with ISO2022. The implication of
'usual sense' is too complicated to describe it here in brief...
So please avoid discussing it based on your own interpretation, leading you to wrong
viewpoints and conclusions.

I'm afraid what you observed with Russian characters is irrelevant to the multibyte representation. Actually, as you noted, each of them is represented with 8-bit.

- KK