Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th char

From: Adam Fedor
Subject: Re: Language Setup Document (Re: Text drawing bug - gaps after 16th character ...)
Date: Tue, 8 Jul 2003 10:51:02 -0600

On Tuesday, July 8, 2003, at 08:45 AM, Kazunobu Kuriyama wrote:

Stefan Böhringer wrote:

It might be the one I privately sent to Adam Fedor several weeks ago.
The code I added to the source sums up a few hundred lines, making
the source code twice as much as it is. So I have to deal with
some legal stuff together with the Free Software Foundation for the patch to be applied to GNUstep officially. I asked the FSF to send me a form for
that procedure. But I haven't received it yet. That's why I can't
make it public.

Certainly you can. It's just that GNUstep will not incorporate the patch
until you refrain from copyright.

Thank you for your comment. But I'm still wondering if I can relinquish the copyright to the Free Software Foundation *unilaterally*. Have you ever
done like this before?

I'm not sure what you mean here. The copyright for something can only be 'owned' by one person or entity. You give the copyright to the FSF so we can incorporate the code into GNUstep. However, in the document that the FSF asks you to sign, they will give back to you non-exclusive rights to the code you contributed. So that, for instance, you can use the code somewhere else (for instance in a non-free program, if you wish(1)).

(1) Of course that only applies to the code you contributed, not the rest of GNUstep.