Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX due to use of -traditional-cpp

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX due to use of -traditional-cpp
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 14:36:26 +0100 (BST)

> Besides this problem, can somebody suggest me how to build base on osx?

I know it's obscure.

> With both the apple complier and gcc-3.3 I'm getting:
>
> /usr/bin/gcc GSCompatibility.m -c \
>       -MMD -MP -DGNUSTEP_INSTALL_PREFIX=/usr/GNUstep/System
> -DGNUSTEP_LOCAL_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep/Local
>       -DGNUSTEP_NETWORK_ROOT=/usr/GNUstep/Network
>       -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_DIR=\".\"
>       -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_CPU=\"powerpc\" -DGNUSTEP_TARGET_OS=\"darwin6\"
>       -DLIBRARY_COMBO=\"apple-apple-apple\" -Wall -Wcast-align
>       -DNeXT_Foundation_LIBRARY=1 -DNeXT_GUI_LIBRARY=1 -DNeXT_RUNTIME=1

apple-apple-apple means "use Apple/NeXT Objective-C runtime, Apple
FoundationKit, and Apple AppKit".

You simply can not compile gnustep-base using that library-combo :-)

To compile gnustep-base on OSX, you must use a library-combo such as

 gnu-gnu-gnu (GNU Objc Runtime, gnustep-base, gnustep-gui)

 or

 apple-gnu-gnu (Apple ObjC runtime, gnustep-base, gnustep-gui)

as library-combo.  To do that, you need to configure gnustep-make with:

./configure --library-combo=gnu-gnu-gnu

which makes gnu-gnu-gnu the default library-combo.  The default
library-combo otherwise is apple-apple-apple.

Another option is to keep the default library-combo, and swithc
library-combo only when compiling gnustep-base:

<at the beginning you are in the default library combo, usually
 apple-apple-apple>
. $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/GNUstep-reset.sh
export LIBRARY_COMBO=gnu-gnu-gnu
. $GNUSTEP_MAKEFILES/GNUstep.sh
<now you are in library-combo gnu-gnu-gnu>

Once you choose the right library-combo (gnu-gnu-gnu instead of
apple-apple-apple, for example), you can try to build it.  But I'm not
sure it will actually work :-) I'll let others comment on this if they
have experience with it.