Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX

From: Lars Sonchocky-Helldorf
Subject: Re: Makefile packages do not work oon OSX
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:58:29 +0200

On 15.07.2003 18:13:26 David Ayers wrote:
>Enrico Sersale wrote:
>
>> This is intended to be a reply also to Nicola, David and all the
>> people that has answered :-)
>>
>> I mean GNUstep-base, not base-extensions.
>
>Now we're getting complicated... What is meant by base-extensions?

my bad. I meant baseadd.

>gnustep/core/base
>supports an option explicitly set though:
>make add=yes
>that builds the parts in
>gnustep/core/base/Source/Additions
>against a "Foundation" implementation other than -base.
>
>On the otherhand there is
>gnustep/dev-libs/extensions
>which has nothing to do with the previous thread except that the term
>"extensions" has been confusingly introduced.
>
>But if I understand you corrctly, you want to build -base on OS X.  You
>do not want to use Apple's Foundation (or AppKit)
>then please do:
>make distclean
>in gnustep/core/base and gnustep/core/make
>
>Now you must decide on an ObjC Runime library to use. Apple's or GNU's.
>Lars said that -base has problems with Apple's Runtime.  It would be
>nice if we hand some more specific details, as the last time we
>discussed it, it ended in "don't send messages in +initialize with
>Apple's runtime" but this is a) not an option and b) was also reported

I could not prove this, it was just my hypothesis on what the stacktrace
said. The other hypothesis here (Adam) is that there might be memory
problem. Hence I tried to build a GNUstep base with MallocDebug. But I
never got around to find the appropriate place in the GNUstep-make innards
to place the -lMallocDebug flag. All the stuff went over my head and I
dropped out since I had no Idea how to tackle this. The last state is
visible here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=DD750B82-9918-11D6-B3A3-0030654C2998%40hamburg.de&output=gplain

with the compile and gdb output in the end. Some more discussion on that
topic is here:
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=65A1AB24-9A9B-11D6-BF94-0030654C2998%40hamburg.de&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fhl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26selm%3D65A1AB24-9A9B-11D6-BF94-0030654C2998%2540hamburg.de

or just search for "Darwin" in
http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&group=gnu.gnustep.discuss
(Entries from 07/2002 and earlier)

And before I forget it: NSZombie also played an obscure role in this
bizarre game...