Re: +[NSBundle mainBundle] broken for tools?

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: +[NSBundle mainBundle] broken for tools?
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 2003 12:05:54 +0100

On Tuesday, July 22, 2003, at 11:34 AM, Nicola Pero wrote:

If your tool has no resources/mainBundle, then [NSBundle mainBundle]
returns nil.

If your tool has resources (which you set in your GNUmakefile by adding
xxx_HAS_RESOURCE_BUNDLE = yes, and then using xxx_RESOURCE_FILES,
xxx_LOCALIZED_RESOURCE_FILES etc), then you get back a bundle pointing to
the installation directory containing those resources.

That sounds pretty reasonable to me.

What would you prefer it to return ?

I agree that returning nil seems a reasonable interpretation of what should happen, but In MacOS-X it returns the bundle for the directory containing the tool. I don't know what it did in OPENSTEP, but I'm presuming from Roland's report that it did
the same.