Re: One for our asian language experts...

From: Richard Frith-Macdonald
Subject: Re: One for our asian language experts...
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 11:58:23 +0100

On Tuesday, July 29, 2003, at 11:23 AM, Pete French wrote:

The problem lies not in the recent unicode support, but in the
implementation of gpbs.

Ah, O.K. Now that is a shame. Understandable in some ways I guess. I
have to admit that I used to write code to support european users
first and then retro-fit internationalisation afterwards. A habit which
bit me badly the day someone pointed out that Greece is part of the union
and thus I need to give it equal status to the other languages. Which
lead to a large amount of re-engineering of code!

I have to put my hand up as the guilty party ... when I wrote that, I couldn't find how X supported internationalised text cut/paste (I still don't know) and as the gui at that time didn't support non-western charactersets, I couldn't
have tested it anyway.

However, IIRC the pasteboard system basically just sets some atoms to
say what type of data you have, and converts between our internal
unicode representation and the (basically ascii) text format that was the only example of X cut and paste I could find. I don't expect it would need a major rewrite to extend that to whatever mechanism X has for internationalised
text cut and paste