Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asianlanguage

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asianlanguage experts...)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 11:48:00 -0400

From: Pete French <pete@twisted.org.uk>
To: kazunobu.kuriyama@nifty.com
CC: alexander@malmberg.org, richard@brainstorm.co.uk,martin@mb-itconsulting.com, discuss-gnustep@gnu.org Subject: Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asianlanguage experts...)
Date: Wed, 30 Jul 2003 16:00:36 +0100

....I can see anything in there about enabling multibyte characters (and
at least I know what multibyte is these days). I can see the bits about
the encodings and fonts, but I assumed with correct encoding and font
it would "just work" ? I already have UTF8 set - can I not just set
an asian font to see the characters ?

This is where the font thing gets complicated I think - I want to have
a text field into which people can type the Japanese text, followed by
the english translation in brackets on the sameline (in thesame NSString).
Now I am quite happpy that the string can holdboth types of characters, and
it displays properly on a webpage - but I am not sure that there is any way
to get it to work properly in the text field so it can be edited ?

I think it is important that GNUstep can display multiple languages at the same place. If it is in NSTextView, it is easy by assigning different font to different text with font panel,
 though it is troublesome to assign it one by one.
And it is impossible to assign different font in NSTextField or other places.
 I would suggest to use fall-back font,
 which is [NSFont prefereedFontNames].
(http://developer.apple.com/documentation/Cocoa/Reference/ApplicationKit/ObjC_classic/Classes/NSFont.html#//apple_ref/doc/uid/20000382/preferredFontNames)
 If the default font can't display certain glyph,
 it will use the fall-back font to do that.
 So you have NSFont in latin and GSFallBackFont in CJK.
 Although I don't know whether it can be easily done.

 Yen-Ju

thanks for the help,

-bat.