Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian langua

From: Kazunobu Kuriyama
Subject: Re: Multi-lingual cut & paste support (was Re: One for our asian language experts...)
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2003 01:53:52 +0900

Pete French wrote:

....I can see anything in there about enabling multibyte characters (and
at least I know what multibyte is these days). I can see the bits about
the encodings and fonts, but I assumed with correct encoding and font
it would "just work" ? I already have UTF8 set - can I not just set
an asian font to see the characters ?

Please make sure you have had at least one .ttf or .ttc file for Japanese
characters (if you use -art), and have made an .nfont package with that font
file.  Usually, such a file includes Latin and Russian characters, too, so
you don't need other .nfont packages. A proper .nfont package is absolutely
essential.  Does your UTF8 set (though I'm not sure the exact meaning of it)
really have Japanese characters?

This is where the font thing gets complicated I think - I want to have
a text field into which people can type the Japanese text, followed by
the english translation in brackets on the sameline (in thesame NSString).

Because I can do it with the current GNUstep, you can do it too once you find
a way to solve a font matter properly.

Now I am quite happpy that the string can holdboth types of characters, and it displays properly on a webpage - but I am not sure that there is any way
to get it to work properly in the text field so it can be edited ?

Again, the current GNUstep supports all you want to do.

If you want to enter Japanese text (or Chinese, Korean, ...) into text objects with a keyboard, you need a help of an input method (=two server programs for
converting Latin characters to Japanese ones).  Without it, you hardly enter
a Japanese character into the objects with a keyboard.

If you only need to edit short Japanese text, you can use the GNUstep application
Charmap, found at
   http://savannah.nongnu.org/projects/charmap.
With it, you can use copy & paste to enter any characters (existing ever on the earth) into text objects. The job may be compared to collecting printing types to make a
printed matter, a little bit awful though.

Cheers,
- Kazu