What's the faster way to change attributes of string ?

From: Yen-Ju Chen
Subject: What's the faster way to change attributes of string ?
Date: Wed, 06 Aug 2003 11:28:40 -0400

Hi,

 I'm improving the syntax-highlight in CodeEditorView right now.
What's the faster way to change thousands of attributes in NSTextStorage once ?
 I have two choices:
1. Build a new NSAttributedString and use [NSTextStorage setAttributedString:].
 2. Directly use -addAttribute:value:range: on NSTextStorage.
 Is there any significant difference in speed between this two ways ?
It is slow when changing attributes of string larger than 80k (on Intel PIII 700 machine).

 By the way, I probably will release CodeEditor 0.4.1 recently.
 It use built-in SAX-like parser to speed up the code parsing,
which is at least twice faster than previous regular-expression-based method. Bug report is welcome, but I'm focusing on CodeEditorView bundle right now.
 Some problem with user interface might not fixed in 0.4.1.

 You can get the code from CVS. PCRE is not a dependency now.
 It use posix regex for Find-and-Replace.

 Yen-Ju