gnustep beginner

From: Aleksandr Skobelev
Subject: gnustep beginner
Date: Mon, 11 Aug 2003 12:38:36 +0400

Excuse me, please, if I've sent this message in wrong place.

I'm just looking at GNUstep and trying to understand what it is.  I sit
under Debian so I've installed all gnustep-* packages and tried to run
some GNUstep applications from the examples. Unfortunately I've got a
problem: not one text string is displayed in any application. So, what is
I see is empty windows, buttons, tables... At the first, I thought that
it is something wrong with fonts and locale (one is ru_RU.KOI8-R).
But playing with text-niked Inc.app I pushed some button in a head row of
some table and text appeared inside the table. There were very strange
colors (like the dark grey foreground and the black background) and when
I tried to scroll the table something broke down and white strips appeared
on the black background.

And there was yet another strange thing IMHO. While all buttons were dark
grey a background was white.

If somebody has been able to understand what I've tried to say here (I'm
not sure my knowledge of English is fine), please, give me some clues
about what can be the the reason for such the behaviour or what I should
do to understand it.

  Thanks in advance,
  Aleksandr