Re: GDL2 How-To

From: Dirk Lattermann
Subject: Re: GDL2 How-To
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 21:03:17 +0200

Hello Frédéric!

On 2003-08-21 16:34:08 +0200 Frédéric PRACA <frederic.praca@freebsd-fr.org>
wrote:

> Hi everybody,
> I just started looking at GDL2 which seems to be the most powerful layer
> between objects and relationnal databases I've seen.

How did you find this out without docs? :-)

> Well, I have problems :
> - First, there's no doc with it nor examples. So I read the doc from db and
> the examples which are almost good fro gdl2
> - Second, after reading everything and keeping it like handbook, I didn't
> found anywhere how to simply select and retrieve objects from my little
> database. No how-to, nothing ... Well looking in header files, I found some
> methods in DatabaseChannel but specifying entities in the request seems
> redundant to me (I already described it in the model file with the mapping).
> Does someone know where I can find help or a little example well commented
> with application objects and how to retrieve them from the database ?
> Thanks a lot

It can be a bit overwhelming at first. I recently discovered GDL2 myself and
found that the best docs were the ones from Apple, indeed. This reminds me that
I intended to write something about my experiences trying it out, but I didn't
get to it... :-(

> Fred
>
> PS: please don't give the links on developer.apple.com, everything about EOF
> is in WebObjects and is now in Java.

I will give you the links anyway, after the restructuring of Apple's pages, the
legacy WebObjects 4.5 docs together with ObjC-EOF are again available:

http://developer.apple.com/documentation/WebObjects/Legacy/WebObjects_4.5/webobjects.html

The document that helped me most is the EOF Developer's Guide in the section
"Understanding WebObjects" of that page. The rest is EOControl and EOAccess, in
the section "Objective-C Framework Reference".

Hope this helps, hoping that Apple's docs will stay there on their page for a
while, and sorry I didn't get to writing the GDL2 tutorial,

Cheers,
Dirk