Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?

From: Banlu Kemiyatorn
Subject: Re: Does GNUstep infringe on Apple's Intellectual Property?
Date: Mon, 25 Aug 2003 16:51:57 +0700

John Anderson wrote:

I want to clarify what I am concerned about.

I am sure that GNUstep is an original implementation of the OpenStep / Cocoa interface.

My concern is that the interface itself (i.e. the classes, the methods, the functions) is directly protected by Apple's copyright, as in "NS" names. More importantly, Apple's copyright also extends indirectly to specific functionality (i.e. just changing all the "NS" names to "GS" or whatever would not solve the problem).

AFAIK, you can't copyright API.

For example, let's say I wanted to rip off McDonald's, with a chain of fast-food hamburger restaurants called JackDonald's. McDonald's would have me shut down before I served my first "BigJack" (for those Europeans who do not know, McDonald's is famous for its' "BigMac"). However, I am mixing trademark and copyright law here to make this easier to understand.

Well, that's a different thing. Don't look down at FSF lawyers.

I presume that GNUstep is an independent, from-scratch implementation
of the OpenStep API that has been published as open API, i.e.
anybody can write it's own implementation.

Thus, GNUstep is not an Apple derivative work at all
and violates no Apple copyright whatsoever.

Is this correct?

Tima.

Well, don't worry. According to SCO case, in US. Companies don't need a clue to try to shut you down. So renaming anything doesn't make you safer (according to your law system. /me ducks). But to make you feel better. Apple itself recommended GNUstep for portability reason.

http://developer.apple.com/darwin/news/qa20010925.html

Q: What is the best way/configuration to support cross-platform Objective-C development? A: Programming to the old OpenStep standard has been reported to work with both Cocoa and GNUstep.

Have a good day.