Re: #import, GNUstep-make, and --enable-import

From: Nicola Pero
Subject: Re: #import, GNUstep-make, and --enable-import
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 15:09:16 +0100 (BST)

> In light of the change mentioned below, I would like to propose that
> --enable-import be on by default. There's no reason for this now, in my
> opinion.
>
> Comments?

The current default flags used by gnustep-make for the compiler let the
compiler generate/not generate the warnings as it wishes.

In other words,

--disable-import passes no flags to the compiler (this is the default)
--enable-import  passes -Wno-import to the compiler

If #import is now undeprecated, good, the compiler will no longer generate
the warning.  That also means you no longer need to pass -Wno-import to
remove warnings from the compiler: the default gnustep-make behaviour is
ok.

So in a sense the gnustep-make --disable/enable-import configure options
are simply obsolete (which is welcome!).

On the other hand, we should probably keep them for olders compilers, but
rename the configure option, or rewrite the configure option
documentation, to state clearly that --disable-import actually really
leaves the choice to the compiler :-)

> Flames?

#import is undeprecated, but it is intrinsically slower than #include. :-)

I don't know how much that is relevant in practice: I've not yet tried the
new implementation.