Pending Litigation

From: John Anderson
Subject: Pending Litigation
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2003 12:56:08 -0400

I want my "freedom" to use GNUstep more firmly established.

So, to clarify status of GNUstep in terms of intellectual property law, I am preparing to file a lawsuit against Apple Computer, Inc. in United States District Court for the Eastern District of Michigan, Southern Division.

In lay terms, I will be seeking a declaration from the Court that GNUstep does not infringe on any rights that Apple Computer may have and to the extent that it does, Apple has granted GNUstep an irrevocable license.

Because the legal system in the United States operates on the basis of precedent, this could impact your "freedom" to use GNUstep. For example, it is possible that the Court could find that GNUstep is actually an unlawful derivative of Apple's copyrights or infringes on Apple's patents. So, you may want to seek legal counsel for advice on how to respond to this.

However, I will be posting a copy of the lawsuit before I file it. Constructive criticism and discussion is welcome, but for obvious reasons please contact me "off-list."

Truly yours,
John Anderson
Detroit.