TextFieldCell, editWithFrame:inView:editor:delegate:self

From: Björn Giesler
Subject: TextFieldCell, editWithFrame:inView:editor:delegate:self
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 14:00:59 +0100

Hi,

can anybody explain to me something in the text system that I don't understand?

I'm building a NSView subclass that is supposed to show address information on
a person. Since the layout is greatly variable, I keep the information in
NSTextFieldCells and do the layout in the view's drawRect: method (see
http://giesler.biz/bjoern/Downloads/Contax/Contax-pre.jpg for a screenshot).

Now, when somebody clicks on a textfield cell, I want to start editing the
cell, so I send it

[c editWithFrame: rect
     inView: aView
     editor: textView
     delegate: self
     event: event];

What I don't understand is: What exactly is aView supposed to be? Whatever it
is, it gets resized to rect, so it can't be self. I've tried constructing a
special view class, setting it to be a subview of self and using that as aView,
which kind of works, but the cursor is not shown and the view is not updated
while editing.

I guess I wouldn't be quite so clueless if I understood the purpose of this
third view; it seems superfluous to me, since there's already a view involved
(textView).

Please, can anyone clarify this?

Thanks a lot in advance,
                --Björn